Subject: Re: Mini-web site - VRML object!
From: Bryant Reif <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:47:43 -0500

At 02:32 AM 12/18/95 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>Just a little note to let everyone know I've got a home page that has some
>JPEGs of random stuff I've done, and .....
>
>A VRML museum, complete with pictures on the walls!
>(If all you get is the ASCII VRML file, then Shift-click in Netscape will let
>you DL the file for later viewing. If anyone knows what I need to set to get
>it to invoke a VRML browser directly, then please e-mail me.)
>
>So, surf on over to:
>http:/home.aol.com/Elfwork
>
>Thanks,
>Erik Flom - ELFWORKS - 3D Construction Co. (Est. 1992)

Wow, I thought I was the only one here interested in LightWave and VRML.
The problem you are experiencing with VRML world being sent as text files is
because your web system administator hasn't set your server to send the MIME
for VRML worlds.  I don't know how you arrange this America On-line, but
they must do the following... (copy/pasted right from the VRML FAQ)

4.3: How set up an HTTP server to host .wrl files?

You need to edit the configuration file to establish the file suffix to MIME
(more below) type mapping. This allows the HTTP protocol to use the MIME
types to identify data coming accross the net as VRML data. If you had .wrl
files available via ftp, the client (browser/viewer) would be responsible
for mapping file extension to MIME tpye (or directly to the application to
be launched. For CERN you need to add this line to httpd.conf: 

#       add the VRML type.
AddType .wrl    x-world/x-vrml  8bit    1.0

For the EMWACS NT server, you add similar things in the Control Panel of the
HTTP Server. Open that to see the list of MIME type mappings. Click on the
New Mapping button and give .wrl & x-world/x-vrml 

*************************************************************
**  Bryant Reif, Telecommunication, Michigan State Univ.   **
**  -----------------------------------------------------  **
**  Phone: (517) 332-1236  E-mail: [email-masked]  **
**  Work: (517) 432-2191   E-mail2: [email-masked]        **
**  Fax: (517) 432-2529                                    **
**  WWW: http://aiesec.msu.edu/~bryant                     **
*************************************************************

        "If you keep your money in your shoe, then people
         will know which bills are yours."  D. Byrne